Sydhavsøernes Fruit Festival
16th and 17th of September 2017
The festival takes place in the charming city of Sakskøbing on Lolland, at the peak of the Danish fruit harvest.
In Bunol, Spain, they have La Tomatina festival, where the locals celebrate the tomato harvest, by throwing tomatoes at each other. In Ivrea, Italy, they have their tomato throwing festivals, and in Menton, France, they have the more sophisticated Fête du Citron. The British gather to celebrate and compete around the raspberry harvest…..
On Lolland more than 20.000 people gather to celebrate the fruit harvest, and the rich cultural heritage of fruit growing on the southern islands of Denmark. The focus is on fresh fruit and culinary uses of fruit, in the Gastronomy, marmalade and other preserves, cider, fruit wine, fruit brandy, balsamic and normal vinegar. You will find activities for the entire family.
Top-events in 2016 are:
- The Guldborg Rumble, a top level cooking competition for gastronomy chefs in Denmark and Scandinavia.( Saturday the 16th.)
- Sydhavsøernes Kagedyst, a competition, only for pastry chefs/ pâtissiers students in ther last year of their education, on how to use fresh local fruits in cakes/pâtisserie. (Sunday the 17 th .)
- Children’s kitchen, and other funny children activities all around the fruit universe
- More than 50 sales stands with all kinds of fruit related products,
- All Family bikerace – explore the beautiful sights on Lolland by bike, pit stop at a local fruit grower.
- A fruit Marathon – run an explore the beautiful sites of Lolland Falster, and a orenteering race – run and find the hidden fruits in forest.
- Meet the fruit doctors and ask all your question on fruit growing, or visit one of Denmark’s largest fruit storages facilities and experience big scale production of fresh apple juice
Free admission! Enjoy a wonderful weekend tasting, eating, drinking and shopping your way through the fruit universe!
- Saturday: 10.00 – 17.30
- Sunday: 10.00 – 16.00
How to get there:
The festival area is situated just next to Sakskøbing train station. So the easiest way to get to the Festival is by train. It is also possible to drive to the festival and park in one of the parking areas connected to the Festival. Just give in Sakskøbing town center in the GPS and you will get there.
Contact and info about Sydhavsøernes Fruit Festival:
Karin Hvidtfeldt, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org